About

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Homesteads of Billy Goat Mountain.

We live on Billy Goat Mountain which is, if you ask me, completely lovely.  When we found our house, that name seemed like the perfect place to start a homestead.

Now, a year and a half later, our homestead is thriving, growing, a fully living thing. While we don't have a billy goat, our little piece of Arkansas is the only place I could imagine being.

Several months ago, I stared getting really serious about taking photos of the kids, the animals, the work, and the adventures of homesteading. I began sharing on instagram (@roots_and_refuge). And to my surprise, people were watching. I don't know why I didn't expect that. I know for the years I lived in town and dreamed of country living, I lived off of blogs and online photos of homesteading, living vicariously through anyone who would share their life with me.

I've thought about that a lot. I shared some in my last post about the conviction I felt when I realized God had told me to share and I hadn't. And the decision I made to open up my life.

That's when we started the YouTube channel. Of course, I'll still keep my blog and Instagram going but some things are just better shown than told. We've joined forces with a few of our neighbors to bring forth this channel that will share our knowledge, adventures and mishaps. I love the diversity that will be displayed on the channel. We are all in different stages and the sense of community I've experienced just since starting this endeavor has been nothing short of heartwarming.

So, here is one of our first videos. This is me talking about chickens, which if you've been reading this blog long at all, you know I am crazy about!
I hope you enjoy, like, subscribe and share! Thank you all for your support. It means more than I could ever put into words.


4 comments:

  1. I'm a crazy chicken lady without any chickens. Thanks for sharing your homestead and hens with those of us who may never realize our dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to follow you on IG but had a hard time finding you. It looks like root should be roots. I found you in a hashtag though. The video was fun and informative! My one year old loved seeing all your chickens. Cant wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I had to look this up after hearing Jess mention it.

    ReplyDelete