About

Friday, April 6, 2012

An average day

Do you ever wake up in the morning gung-ho to just create and produce?  You know these days.  On these days, you are just the bomb.com and by George, you are going to get something done.
Then there are those days where you're one goal is to make it to the post office and you get there, unload the kids and wait in line just to remember you forgot one of the articles you were supposed to be mailing on the couch.  So you go home, get back in the car just to have the bottom fall out of the sky and you have no choice but to admit defeat rather than unload a 4 year old and newborn in a torrential downpour.

I've had both sorts of days this week and yesterday started as the former and ended in the latter fashion.
I spent a good hour yesterday cruising pinterest and googling snack recipes that included no refined sugar.  I assessed the pantry and fridge and decided the nicely browned bananas quickly expiring in the fruit bowl would probably like to retire as a lovely loaf of fresh banana bread.  I dug up the recipe and collected the ingredients, taking a photo as a good aspiring blogger should...



I mixed the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another, all while nursing Tobias in the sling and patting myself on the back for being so darn awesome. The feeling was short lived, however, as the next moment I dropped the wet ingredient bowl and watched as a big goopy glob of bananas, egg and honey dripped down the face of my cabinet onto the floor. Fantastic.
Moments like this make me feel like a child in the classroom of my almighty Teacher.  I often find myself praying for patience and expecting God to work in the same way a fairy godmother would, tapping me on the head and granting my wish.  Up until this point, He never has.  Instead He works with grace and the knowledge of the One who created me.  He constantly gives me circumstances in which my patience is tested and given the chance to grow.  Phillipians 1:6 states "I am certain that God, who began the good work in you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns."  In other words, pray for patience and goodness and He'll work on it....but it's going to take a while.
I often fail spectacularly, but sometimes I do not.  Sometimes I simply take a deep breath, scrape the glop off my freshly clean counter and back into the bowl, access the amount of goop on the floor and remove an equivilant amount of dry ingredients to counter the loss, then mix together a tasty, albeit smaller, loaf of banana bread.  Yeah, it was a little springy but the kids didn't complain and I think I ended up with a better morsel to blog about than bread anyway.

The recipe, in case you're wondering, is quite good when you manage not to spill it.

Banana Bread 

2 c. flour. Whole wheat is best.
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used my vitamix to blend an apple into applesauce but you can use store bought. Just check it for sweeteners.)
3/4 c. honey
2 eggs
3 mashed brown bananas
Optional mix ins- 1/2 c. pecans or 1/4 c. chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease a standard loaf pan. 
Mix the first three ingredients in a large bowl.  In a seperate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.  Then slowly pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture.  Stir until incorporated. 
Pour into loaf pan. 
Bake for 60 minutes. Stick a toothpick or knife into the loaf.  If it does not come out clean, bake for an additional 5 minutes and then test again. Cool in pan for 10 minutes.  
Enjoy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment